Why Do Homeowners Benefit from Professional Mold Damage Help?
Advanced Training and Practical Experience Is Why SERVPRO Delivers Results for Bloomingdale Residents Needing Mold Removal
Finding or suspecting mold growth in your Bloomingdale home can be upsetting and a little frightening because of all the negative attention mold damage gets in the media. Mold spores are an unseen and usually benign fact of life in all homes. Unfortunately, if your dwelling has unresolved water damage or even high humidity in spaces like kitchens, laundry rooms, or bathrooms, spores absorb moisture and begin a growth cycle that proves challenging to resolve.
Can DIY Solutions Make Mold Damage Worse?
Homeowners in Bloomingdale who try mold removal on their own often experience frustration. The temptation is to stay “hands-off” because of mold’s reputation as a health concern, so spray-on solutions like over the counter mold “removers” or homemade bleach mixtures are often chosen. These products can lighten a mold stain temporarily, but the problem often comes back worse than before. A spray-bottle strategy cannot penetrate to the “root’ of the mold problem, the hyphae invading porous materials like drywall and unsealed grout. This inadequacy is why professionals take a different path.
How Do Professionals Manage Mold Removal?
The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) extensively researched the best ways to remediate mold damage, which is why SERVPRO follows its protocol. Although a broadcast spray of antimicrobials in the moldy space can precede a mold removal intervention to reduce the load of spores in the air, our other efforts include:
- Containing the workspace with heavy plastic sheeting, frequently adding an air scrubber to force the mold debris-laden air through HEPA filters before exhaustion to the outside
- Mechanically removing the mold with brushes and scrapers (technicians wearing personal protective equipment (PPE))
- Using gentle abrasives like soda or dry ice blasting to remove surface mold from porous materials, while the abrasive chemical makeup also incapacitates the unseen hyphae
- Vacuuming and wiping up residues, bagging them with the moldy materials for disposal as hazardous waste
- Application of an EPA-registered antimicrobial to inhibit mold rebound
Understanding of the microbial life cycle is why SERVPRO of Carol Stream / East Bloomingdale chooses the EPA protocol, with excellent results. Call us at (630) 830-6236 for a consultation to devise a personalized mold removal plan.