The Basics of Cleaning Flood Damage in Downtown Chicago
If flooding occurs in your home, contact SERVPRO immediately for certified technicians to get the job done. Call 24/7.
Apartment Flood Cleanup by SERVPRO® Professionals
As a resident of an apartment building, you might worry about flood damage. Water causes significant harm to your property and disrupts your life. When disasters strike, however, you can no longer help your residence how you would like. Whether filing an insurance claim or not, intervention in a flood-damaged recovery process can be unsafe and make matters worse.
Flood damage in Downtown Chicago apartments is typical, especially during the rainy season. Professional restorers like our SERVPRO team are often called upon to remedy the situation and restore the apartment to its original state.
Understanding Our Process in a Stressful Time
Step 1: Where is the floodwater coming from?
The first step in the restoration process is to identify the source of the flood damage. This step can be done by inspecting the affected areas and determining where the water comes from. Next is to stop the water flow by fixing the leak or repairing the damaged pipe. We inspect the affected areas for signs of mold, mildew, and other damage that may have occurred due to the flood.
Step 2: Effective Drying and Recovery
The restoration process can begin after drying out the affected areas using state-of-the-art equipment such as dehumidifiers and air movers to remove moisture. We replace damaged materials, such as drywall, flooring, and insulation. Effective containment and cleanup prevent water from spreading to adjacent apartment units.
Step 3: Repairing the Damage
We have trusted contractors to complete build-back services for an apartment building. Multiple-unit damage hones the skills of our team members as we discover and overcome the structural challenges to make it “Like it never even happened.”
Downtown Chicago apartments can quickly suffer flood damage, but SERVPRO of Carol Stream / East Bloomingdale is here to help when needed. Call us immediately to begin the mitigation process at (630) 830-6236.
We Are the Fire Damage Restoration Experts in Downtown Chicago
Dealing with fire damage is a job best left to the professionals. Contact SERVPRO for certified technicians ready 24/7 to help you.
Fire Damage Restoration for Structure & Contents
When a tragedy happens, you want an expert's opinion on putting everything in its previous condition. Accidents happen often in Downtown Chicago, including car accidents and house fires. A great mechanic can help with the first, and our fire damage restoration team is always nearby to assist with the latter.
SERVPRO's fire damage restoration team is a Downtown Chicago Licensed Operator. We can handle the work required to restore your home after a fire. We work with all building types and specialize in salvaging damaged personal belongings.
Here are short descriptions of what we do for families in the local area after a fire does its best to upset their lives and throw their family's plans off track:
- Cleaning the various surfaces soiled by ash and smoke,
- Repair work that can include structures or furnishings, and
- Eliminating the stench that burning materials create.
By-products of a fire have various attributes – oily, powdery, gritty, and sticky are a few. Smoke molecules can work deeply into textured fabrics, wood, painted surfaces, and more. SERVPRO's IICRC-certified cleaning agents help suspend foreign particles to make our cleaning efforts more effective. Also, we use an ultrasonic cleaning system to clean many items.
Along with cleaning, SERVPRO? repairs damaged walls, doorways, breakfast nooks, cabinetry, and much more. Wooden furniture can become charred, so refinishing wooden accents can help homeowners safely keep such items. When we step back and look at each aspect needing repairs, we can do these all in an orderly, less-stressful manner.
We use different methods to eliminate the heavy, sharp scents your family notices. Odors come from partially burned substances that continue to break down into tiny particles. Our techniques get at those particles and eliminate them through physical removal or chemical bonding.
Property owners are encouraged to call SERVPRO of Carol Stream / East Bloomingdale at (630) 830-6236. Our professionals are highly skilled in the various aspects involved in reclaiming residential properties after a disaster.
Post-demolition Fire Damage Restoration Cleanup in Downtown Chicago
When fire damage like this happens in your Downtown Chicago home, call SERVPRO for 24/7 assistance. They're Fater to Any Size Disaster!
Trust SERVPRO to Resolve Fire Damage in Downtown Chicago
One of the necessary procedures during fire damage restoration is demolition since it removes charred, soggy, or risky materials, such as frayed electrical cables left in the property. Doing the teardown correctly and effectively cleaning up the property can ensure the rest of the restoration proceeds without hitches. SERVPRO expertly handles controlled demolition in any section of your Downtown Chicago property and the post-demolition cleanup.
Managing the cleaning process during fire damage restoration at your Downtown Chicago requires appropriate balancing to ensure thoroughness in removing unwanted materials and using methods that do not create additional problems. SERVPRO crews are well-suited to handle the task since we have a wide range of equipment.
Typical goals of post-demolition cleanup after a fire
- Preventing loose debris from turning into embedded soils
- Conveniently handling larger debris
- Keeping fine residues contained
Demolition takes procedures like drilling and sawing, which release dust and other fine residues that settle on surfaces. Vibrations from hammering elevated surfaces dislodge soot and ash, thus leading to accumulation on the floor. Subjecting floors to wet cleaning without addressing the dry residues can embed rather than remove such residues, creating undesirable outcomes. Our SERVPRO crews start cleaning exercises with dry cleaning approaches before considering wet cleaning.
Helpful dry cleaning methods
- Feather dusting
- Agitating with compressed air
In case significant moisture accumulates in some sections from the firefighting process, addressing it while cleaning is essential. Our crews use dehumidifiers with low airflow to facilitate such drying without spreading light debris.
Dealing with Large Debris
If the demolition involves removing large pieces of wall and ceiling panels or carpets, you may end up with a chaotic environment where it is possible to tackle other tasks. Apart from removing the large debris, it is essential to take appropriate management steps such as slicing them into smaller pieces and containing them. Our SERVPRO crews use sealable plastic bags and large trashcans to collect fire-damaged materials for easier debris management.
SERVPRO of Carol Stream / East Bloomingdale prepares your property and conveniently executes fire damage restoration. Call us at (630) 830-6236. We’re Faster To Any Size Disaster.
Expert Fire Damage Cleanup in Downtown Chicago Saves Money
Our certified team makes fire damage in Chicago “Like it never even happened.”
Restorative Cleaning by SERVPRO Reduces the Fire Restoration Cost in Downtown Chicago
Professional cleaning and restoration services can help you reduce the cost of a fire damage claim in Downtown Chicago. Rather than relying solely on replacing or resurfacing a fire-damaged item, professionals focus on restorative cleaning techniques to get the materials to preloss condition. Cleaning and restoration services often cost only a fraction of replacement or resurfacing, thereby saving on damage claims.
SERVPRO techs apply certain principles and elements of cleaning during fire damage restoration of your Downtown Chicago property. A successful restorative cleaning requires the official SERVPRO Downtown Operator to thoroughly know the effects of fire and smoke on various surfaces.
Principles of Cleaning Used During House Fire Cleanup
SERVPRO has developed an industry-leading scientific fire damage restoration system that closely adheres to the guidelines set forth by the Institute of Inspection, Cleaning and Restoration Certification (IICRC). The basic principles of our restorative cleaning strategy include-
- Locating the smoke and soot residue by thoroughly inspecting the affected area. The inspection starts at the source of the fire, and the restorers trace how far the smoke has moved.
- Identifying the type of smoke residue comes next. Not all smoke residues are alike and different types of smoke residues can exist in the same loss environment. Identifying the residue is crucial to pick the correct cleaning method that is effective and efficient.
- Identifying the types of surfaces affected by fire damage is equally important. Depending on the type and porosity of the surface, the SERVPRO restorers decide which cleaning method and products are suitable.
- As the smoke residues bind to the surfaces they contact, the following principle involves identifying a technique to capture the residue using an appropriate wet or dry cleaning method.
- Once the residue is captured, it needs to be disposed of, and the debris and cleaning waste.
Cleaning Actions SERVPRO Techs Use to Dislodge Soils from Surfaces
The restorative cleaning process must break the bonds between the soils and the surfaces. SERVPRO techs use four cleaning actions to break the bonds and dislodge the soils from various surfaces.
- Mechanical action: It is one of the most effective ways of dislodging soil from a surface. Cleaning dry, non-greasy residues is most effective using mechanical action. However, SERVPRO techs routinely use this cleaning method to pre-clean excess residue before using other cleaning methods.
- Lubrication: Lubrication aims to reduce the force of attraction between the soil particles and the surfaces by using lubricating agents like detergents.
- Chemical action: In some cases, the soils need to be chemically altered before being removed from a fire-damaged surface. Enzyme cleaners and bleaching agents change the chemical structure of the soil, making it easy to remove.
- Suspension and dispersion: One of the most common cleaning actions is loosening the smoke and soot residues and suspending or dispersing them in a cleaning product.
- Dissolving the soil with solvent: Solvents are cleaning agents that are not water-based and are used when water-based cleaning agents might cause damage to the surfaces. SERVPRO techs use Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), and the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) approved solvents during the restorative cleaning.
Involving the professionals as soon as possible can prevent any long-term damage to your Downtown Chicago home. SERVPRO works hard to restore your property “Like it never even happened.”
If you need assistance with restoration after fire damage, call SERVPRO of Carol Stream / East Bloomingdale at (630) 830-6236; after all, We’re Faster To Any Size Disaster.
Water Damage in Downtown Chicago Needs Professional Mitigation
SERVPRO works swiftly to provide fast and efficient water damage restoration in your Chicago home.
hat Makes SERVPRO a Premier Water Damage Mitigation Service in Downtown Chicago?
Apart from ruining your property, water damage at your Downtown Chicago home can disrupt your normal lifestyle leading to stress and uncertainty. Professionals can help get your water-damaged home back in order and ease some of that stress. However, it is crucial to pick a restoration service that is experienced, qualified, dedicated, and driven.
SERVPRO’s team of highly trained technicians has a focused approach to water damage mitigation in Downtown Chicago that is both fast and effective. Our technicians adhere to the standards recommended by the Institute of Inspection, Cleaning, and Restoration Certification (IICRC) throughout the process. The Official SERVPRO Downtown Operators make the process as transparent as possible and keep you in the loop at every level, so you know the actual state of progress.
Remediation Procedures for Water Cleanup
Water damage restoration involves several work activities in a highly synchronized manner. Once the SERVPRO techs arrive at the site, they set up a staging area from where all the restoration activities are coordinated. We put a lot of stock in organizing the staging area for improved efficiency.
The remediation procedures involve the following steps:
- Ensuring the safety of occupants and workers: Some water damage instances contain significantly contaminated (Category 2) or grossly contaminated (Category 3) water requiring special safety considerations. While gloves are usually enough for Category 2, Category 3 water requires more extreme measures, including evacuation of occupants and PPE suits for workers.
- Establishing engineering controls: It is crucial to limit the spread of contamination to unaffected areas of the building, and to minimize this cross-contamination, SERVPRO techs establish appropriate engineering controls. Containment chambers equipped with negative air machines (NAM) are set up to limit the flow of the contaminated air.
- Extraction of water: Standing water, if present from storm damage, needs to be extracted along with any solid waste, silt, and debris. SERVPRO techs use extractors, submersible, and trash pumps to get the job done.
- Humidity control: Techs install dehumidifiers to control the humidity and minimize moisture migration, potential secondary damage, and microbial amplification.
- Cleaning and decontaminating: Pressure washing, wet cleaning, and HEPA vacuuming is done to clean and decontaminate the exposed materials. If the decontamination is not accomplished by cleaning alone, techs use appropriate biocides.
Equipment SERVPRO Techs Use During Water Mitigation
SERVPRO techs can have fast and efficient water mitigation in your Downtown Chicago home using several industry-grade equipment and products capable of handling all size disasters.
- Inspection devices such as moisture sensors and Thermal imaging cameras help restorers locate the areas of the structure into which moisture has intruded. Moisture sensing devices also allow the restorers to track the progress of the remediation process.
- Extraction equipment like extraction units and pumps are an integral part of the restoration process.
- Air movers (producing high-velocity airflow) enhance evaporation by introducing airflow at the surface level, replacing the cool, saturated boundary layer with warmer, drier air from dehumidifiers while sweeping water molecules into the air.
- Dehumidifying equipment extracts the excess moisture from the air reducing the humidity ratio to speed up the drying process.
SERVPRO is committed to serving the Downtown Chicago community with industry-leading restoration and mitigation service. We’re Faster To Any Size Disaster and work tirelessly to get the job done the right way. From small spills, major plumbing failure, to stormwater flooding, you can rely on us to make it “Like it never even happened.”
Call SERVPRO of Carol Stream / East Bloomingdale at (630) 830-6236 with any questions or queries. Our techs are available 24/7 to assist you.
It Pays to Hire Pros for Mold Damage Repair in Downtown Chicago
When you discover mold damage in your Chicago home, contact SERVPRO. We are Here to Help.
How Do SERVPRO Experts Handle Mold Damage Remediation in Downtown Chicago?
Discovering mold damage in your Downtown Chicago home is not a pleasant experience. Unmitigated mold can wreak havoc on your property and cause structural damage. Professionals like SERVPRO have the training, skill, and tools to get your home back to preloss condition while maintaining high safety standards.
The primary goal of SERVPRO during the mold damage repair of your Downtown Chicago property is to clean the contamination and remediate the conditions that cause the mold to spread. Microbes, including mold spores, are an integral part of our indoor environment, and no amount of mitigation can guarantee their complete removal. Consequently, Official SERVPRO Downtown Operators implement cleaning strategies and measures that eliminate visible mold and prevent their growth beyond normal levels. We work hard to make it “Like it never even happened.”
Principles of Professional Mold Removal
The Institute of Inspection, Cleaning and Restoration Certification (IICRC) suggests five general principles to remediate mold-contaminated structures and materials. SERVPRO is one of the few restorers in the Downtown Chicago area that implements IICRC recommendations as closely as possible. Applying these principles requires the SERVPRO techs to adopt a multi-disciplinary approach that involves collaborating with Indoor Air Quality (IAQ) professionals and Indoor Environmental Professionals (IEP).
The five principles of remediation include:
- Providing for the safety of Occupants and workers: The safety of our techs and the occupants is a top priority for SERVPRO. Hence, we employ a combination of engineering controls and specialized work practices for activities that disturb mold to limit the risk of exposure.
- Documenting the conditions and work process: The IICRC asserts that an effective mold remediation plan can’t be developed without determining the extent of the damage. SERVPRO techs often take help from Indoor Environmental Professionals sampling, testing, and subsequent assessment of the scope of mold infestation.
- Controlling the contamination at its source: Aerosolized mold spores are tough to capture, and hence restorers work hard to maintain the contamination as close to its source as possible. SERVPRO techs often use source containment to prevent the dispersal of mold spores during the mold removal process.
- Physically removing the contamination: In contrast to some restorers, SERVPRO techs rely on removing the contamination rather than killing or encapsulating to solve the problem. Physical removal is one method that can minimize the chances of recontamination. Some mold remediation methods do include salvaging infested materials.
- Correct the moisture problem to prevent recontamination: Mold growth is virtually inevitable if moisture is not controlled as spores are everywhere at background levels. SERVPRO understands that moisture problems must be identified, corrected, and managed as soon as possible for effective remediation.
Why are Engineering Controls Important?
SERVPRO techs often use meticulous engineering controls to prevent cross-contamination and assure worker safety. According to the IICRC, engineering controls are the first line of defense for ensuring the safety of workers and occupants and should include the following:
- Isolation of affected areas by erecting physical barriers using polyethylene sheeting material.
- During remediation, HVAC registers, building openings, and fixtures are often sealed off.
- Pressure differentials control the airflow between contaminated and uncontaminated building regions. A pressure differential of ≥ 5 Pascals (0.02 inches of water gauge) is usually set up to prevent the migration of spores.
SERVPRO stands out among other restoration companies thanks to our scientific, no-nonsense, transparent approach and excellent customer service.
Call SERVPRO of Carol Stream / East Bloomingdale at (630) 830-6236; We’re Faster To Any Size Disaster.
Carol Stream Homeowners Trust SERVPRO After Water Damage
Looking for a restoration company? Look no further, SERVPRO is just a call away at (630) 830-6236.
SERVPRO Is Fast and Efficient in Water Damage Restoration of Carol Stream Homes
Water damage in your Carol Stream home can compromise the structural integrity of the building materials if left untreated. The excess moisture in building materials like wood can cause swelling, warping, or rotting, weakening the structure. Drywall can become soft, weak, and even disintegrate if the moisture is not removed quickly.
Experts like SERVPRO use advanced technology and equipment during water damage restoration of your Carol Stream property to ensure the restoration process is quick and efficient. We aim to return the moisture level to pre-damaged conditions by creating conditions that favor rapid drying.
Removing Moisture from the Air During Water Cleanup
Removing excess moisture from the air is one of the best ways to accelerate drying. SERVPRO techs use equipment called dehumidifiers to accomplish this goal. The dehumidifiers remove the water vapor from the air in one of the following two ways:
- Condensation is the process of converting water vapor into liquid water. Refrigerant dehumidifiers work on this principle. The cold refrigerant is pumped through coils, and the moist air is moved across these cold evaporator coils. Water vapor condenses on the cold coils and fins as the air is cooled below its dew point.
- Desiccation is the process by which certain chemicals can absorb moisture from the air with high affinity. SERVPRO techs use desiccation dehumidifiers containing EPA-approved desiccating chemicals like silica gel and activated alumina.
Advantages of Desiccant Dehumidifiers
SERVPRO techs use desiccant dehumidifiers as they offer several advantages, including:
- Desiccant dehumidifiers can reduce the humidity ratio much lower than refrigerants.
- These dehumidifiers can even work when the temperature is lower than 600F.
- Dense and low permeability materials like hardwood floors, framing, and concrete are better dried using a desiccant dehumidifier.
Call SERVPRO of Carol Stream / East Bloomingdale at (630) 830-6236; We’re Faster To Any Size Disaster.
Water Cleanup of Carpeted Homes in Downtown Chicago
SERVPRO restores storm-damaged homes and businesses in Downtown Chicago.
Fast Water Extraction in Downtown Chicago
Water leaks caused by storms passing through Downtown Chicago can damage flooring and contents. Many of our customers are surprised to learn that water damage to carpeted floors can lead to the weakening of the subfloor and replacement of the carpet and underpad if water removal and drying are not undertaken immediately.
SERVPRO responds within four hours of your call for Downtown Chicago water cleanup after a storm or major water line break. Our team can provide emergency board-up services and install weighted water extractors, dehumidifiers, and high-capacity air movers to remove water and moisture from your home or office.
Water from storms leaking into your home or from plumbing leaks can damage carpets in several ways if the water is not immediately removed. Typically, if this is Black Water, contaminated with biohazardous elements, the carpet must be discarded.
- Separation of the carpet's secondary and primary backing, referred to as delamination
- Latex glues deteriorate and may cause delamination in high-traffic areas
- Water can also cause glued-down carpets to separate from the floor leading to bubbling
- Padding may break apart when wet and need to be replaced
- Subfloors exposed to moisture for longer periods can lose strength and integrity
- Dyes in the carpet, colored dyes in objects on the carpet can cause discoloration
Homeowners can help manage the damage and assist with water cleanup immediately after the storm passes:
- Verify everyone is safe and accounted for
- Be careful of slips and falls on wet surfaces
- If possible, turn off all power sources in the affected area
- Avoid using lamps and other electrical equipment in the affected area
- Remove all items from the floor that could leak dyes into the wet carpet
- Support furniture legs with wood blocks under each or place tinfoil under each leg to prevent rust and discoloration
Our fast response, water cleanup, and drying can minimize the total damage.
Call SERVPRO of Carol Stream / East Bloomingdale for water cleanup services. We are
Why So Many in Downtown Chicago Choose SERVPRO's Mold Damage Team
Mold can grow anywhere there is a food and moisture source. Call SERVPRO at the first sign for complete remediation.
We Can Erase Mold Damage & Effects in Your Home
Mold can leave signs of its presence behind, even after remediation. Mold damage involves more than the physical changes seen on surfaces. Many homeowners in Chicago recognize the odor mold causes but don't know how to combat those unwanted aromas beyond using scented aerosols.
As a Downtown Chicago Licensed Operator, SERVPRO goes the extra step to ensure each customer is satisfied with our work, including eliminating odors from mold damage in your Chicago home. We know how to use technology to get to the source of those unpleasant odors for you.
Here are ways our IICRC trained team uses technology to make your house, post-mold remediation, comfortable for you:
- Locating where moisture is entering your residence
- Eradication of excess mold
- Highly effective odor control methods
Our team relies on equipment that helps us detect excess moisture and extract and get everything dried out. Infrared cameras give us an image that reveals cooler locations, often indicative of elevated moisture. Ensuring these places remain dry after our remediation process can prevent mold from returning.
Using different methods, we eliminate mold from surfaces like walls and floors, from the interior of your HVAC system's ducts and vents, and enclosed interior spaces like behind your tub surround. These techniques range from dry ice pellets blasted at high speed to freeze and remove mold particles to a spray-on application of an encapsulating agent that renders mold inert.
Once the microbial population is controlled, we can begin working on handling mold-related odors. One method we use to remove mold also controls odors, but we can do more than that to eliminate moldy scents. Depending on things in the area, we can use wet or dry fogging, time-release gel packs, aromatic oils, activated charcoal, and industrial strength masking agents that out-power handheld scented aerosols.
When you need mold and odor control experts, call SERVPRO of Carol Stream / East Bloomingdale at (630) 830-6236. Even if we cannot detect an unwanted aroma, your nose is the golden standard in your home.
Handling Commercial Water Damage in Downtown Chicago Calls for Expertise
The first step to resolving commercial water damage is calling your local trained professionals at SERVPRO.
SERVPRO Offers Commercial Water Damage Repair in Downtown Chicago
Water damage in a commercial establishment like a hotel can prevent you from doing business and affect the safety of your employees and patrons. Once you spot water damage signs, you must take action immediately. Commercial water damage repair requires a rigorous approach because of the structure and size of the building, the varying use of spaces, and the number of occupants.
There is a time constraint when handling commercial water damage in Downtown Chicago since business must continue quickly. Water damage can cause moisture to seep into structures like drywall, wood, and carpet floors, triggering issues like warped wood, damaged drywall, and mold infestation.
After enduring water damage, you must address multiple separate issues. That’s why SERVPRO’s water remediation services involve several steps. You may not require all services listed, but you can rest assured that we provide every service you need. We offer the following services:
- Water extraction
- Dry out
- Mold removal
- Building repair
This involves evaluating the affected areas using equipment like thermal imaging cameras to determine how far moisture traveled.
Our SERVPRO team can use pumps to remove water from the property. Pump strength is stated in terms of lift and volume capacity. If the stagnant water in your hotel is over two inches deep, our team can use submersible pumps with adequate volume capacity and lift capability to extract it.
We can use air movers to quickly dry out your property so we can proceed with the remaining restoration process. Our SERVPRO team can also use powerful, large dehumidifiers to draw water from floors and walls to prevent structural issues and bacteria buildup.
Following water damage, experiencing a mold infestation is common. SERVPRO uses effective techniques to remediate mold.
This phase of the restoration process involves repairing or rebuilding damaged walls, floors, and ceilings to restore a building to its preloss state.
Hotel owners can count on SERVPRO of Carol Stream / East Bloomingdale to offer effective and fast commercial water damage repairs. For professional remediation, call us today at (630) 830-6236.